1. "Denotes excess, absence of restraint, indecency...the prominent
idea is shameless conduct" An Expository Dictionary Of New
Testament Words, W.E. Vine.
2. "Wanton (acts or) manners, as filthy words, indecent bodily
movements, unchaste handling of males and females" Thayer's
Greek English Lexicon.
3. The word literally means lewdness or unbridled lusts.
B. The word is used ten times in the New Testament and not at all in the Old.
C. Because it is not commonly used in our language today, it is a word that
many do not understand.
I. Use Of The Word In The New Testament:
A. Mark 7:22 (20-23) "And he said, That which cometh out of the
man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart
of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an
evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things
come from within, and defile the man."
1. It is a sin that proceeds from the heart.
B. Romans 13:13 (12-14) "The night is far spent, the day is at hand:
let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on
the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in
rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in
strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make
not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."
1. The word here is translated "wantonness".
2. We are not to "walk" in this manner.
C. 2 Cor. 12:21 "And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me
among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already,
and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and
lasciviousness which they have committed."
1. Lasciviousness was a sin some of the Corinthians were
D. Gal. 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which
are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife,
seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings,
and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also
told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not
inherit the kingdom of God."
1. In the four words this list opens with, lasciviousness
could be considered the climax.
2. Adultery and fornication is sin within a specific area
of life - sexual relationships.
3. Uncleanness is the general defilement of the whole personality.
4. Lasciviousness is a love of sin that causes reckless behavior.
It causes a person to no longer care what God or man thinks
of his actions.
5. A person may be unclean and hide his sin but if he lascivious
he makes no attempt to hide or cover it - they have lost
E. Eph. 4:19 (17-24) "This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord,
that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity
of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated
from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because
of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given
themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with
greediness. But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye
have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in
Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old
man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be
renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man,
which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."
1. It could not be said any plainer: Don't be like others!
F. 1 Peter 4:3 (1-4) "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in
the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that
hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer
should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men,
but to the will of God. For the time past of our life may suffice
us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in
lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings,
and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that
ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil
1. Again, it can not be said any clearer: Don't be like
others regardless of what they say against you!
G. 2 Peter 2:2 "And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by
reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of."
1. Word "lasciviousness" is translated "pernicious".
2. We would do well to read all of 2 Peter 2.
H. 2 Peter 2:7 "And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy
conversation of the wicked:"
1. Lasciviousness is translated "filthy conversation"
with "conversation meaning "way of life".
I. 2 Peter 2:18 "For when they speak great swelling words of
vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through
much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who
live in error."
1. Lasciviousness is translated "wantonness" which shows
it is a source of enticement to do wrong.
J. Jude 4 "For there are certain men crept in unawares, who
were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men,
turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying
the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."
1. God's grace can even be turned into lasciviousness.
II What Can Be Learned From These Passages?
A. Sin of lasciviousness is not always easy to identify as a
single sinful act.
B. In the passages just examined, it's more a manner or
attitude of behavior.
C. It could be a:
1. A lascivious walk 5. Filthy speech
2. A lascivious look 6. Lascivious jokes
3. Lascivious speech 7. Lascivious gestures
4. Lascivious kiss 8. Lascivious desires
9. Lascivious movements
D. Three characteristics of lasciviousness:
1. Wanton or undisciplined action. Someone at the mercy
of their passions, impulses, and emotions. Reasoning
has been silenced.
2. Has no respect for persons nor rights of anyone else.
3. Completely indifferent to what is right and decent.
E. The terrible thing about lasciviousness is that it is the act
of a character which has lost that which ought to be its
greatest defense: ITS SELF-RESPECT and ITS SENSE OF SHAME!
III Some Present Practices In View Of What We've Learned:
A. Modern Dance.
1. The difference between dancing and wrestling is that
in wrestling some holds are barred!
2. Remember Thayer's definition: "unchaste handling of
males and females" and "indecent bodily movements".
3. Sometime when you're "channel surfing" and come upon
a scene showing the dance floor, mute the sound and
B. Kissing and Petting.
1. This action stirs a desire that petting itself cannot
and will not satisfy.
2. Again, remember the definition: "...unchaste handling...".
3. Even people of the world recognize the dangers:
"...not enough mothers warn their sons and daughters
that kissing is intended by nature to be an appetizer,
not an entire meal." (Marrion Hilliard, M.D. Chief Of
Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women's Hospital, Toronto.)
C. Movies. (Whether in the theater or at home.)
1. Scenes are depicted which incite lust and evil desires
in the hearts of those who watch.
2. Instead of "R" and "X" ratings there should be "L"
rating with "L" being lascivious.
D. Immodest Dress.
1. Shorts, halters, bathing suits, tight fitting, thigh-high
split clothing, see-through clothing, etc.
A. Some additional passages to keep in mind:
1. Phil. 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are
true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things
are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things
are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if
there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think
on these things."
a. We need to do all that we can to keep ourselves
in the right surroundings so that we can do
b. Of course, that are places where we must be and
we do not have much of a choice:
(2) On the job
c. But after we get out of school or get off work,
let us not choose to want to continue to
associate with those who are foul mouthed or
involved themselves in sinful things.
(1) Let us not stop off at local pub or
"hang-out" spot where such things
continue to go on.
(2) Nor go to the dance-hall, etc. These
things are options and we have a choice
either to do or not do.
(3) Let us never deliberately and knowingly
put ourselves into situations of temptations.
Regardless how strong we are, we are sure
(4) That is why God repeatedly warns us
"Flee fornication" (1 Cor. 6:18) and
"abstain from all appearance of evil"
(1 Thess. 5:22).
2. Proverbs 4:23 "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for
out of it are the issues of life."